Green WasteResidents can drop off green waste at the Helendale Thrift Store Monday – Saturday from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm and Sunday 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
26540 Vista Rd. Suite A. Helendale, CA 92342
Branches and cuttings, flowers, leaves, grass, sod.
Trimmings cannot exceed 3” in diameter.
Dirt, rocks boulders
Palm, Yucca, Joshua Tree, Cactus, Mulberry Leaves
Painted or treated wood
Green waste in bags
Green Waste must be removed from bags or other containers
Click here for our Green Waste Drop Off Flyer
What is Green Waste?• Yard waste including tree branches, cuttings, shrubs, flowers, brushes, grass clippings, tree trimmings, and pruning’s.
• Untreated wood waste such as branches and stumps
• Similar materials generated by homeowners from their lawns and gardens or commercial or nonresidential activities
Green Waste is not:• Treated wood waste, such as wood containing lead-based paint or preservatives
• Manure and plant waste from the food processing industry
• Food waste
Backyard composting is an easy of managing green waste at home. Food scraps and yard waste make up about 20-30% of what we throw away, and can be composted instead. Making compost keeps these materials out of landfills where they take up space and release methane.
Composting requires three basic ingredients:
• Browns – This includes dead leaves, branches, and twigs
• Greens – This includes grass clippings, vegetables, fruits, and coffee grounds
• Water – Add water to your pile. Your pile should be the consistency of a wrung out sponge.
Your compost pile should have equal amounts of browns and greens. Composting has many benefits including:
• Enriches the soil, helping retain moisture reduces pests and disease
• Reduces the need for chemical fertilizers
• Encourages the production of beneficial bacteria in the soil creating a rich nutrient filled soil
• Reduces methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint
Examples of composting bins